Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers not-for-profit scheme, launched in 2016 to cap domestic flood insurance prices keeping insurance premiums affordable for households in high-risk areas.

Every insurer that offers home insurance in the UK must pay into the Flood Re Scheme. This Levy raises £180m every year that insurers use to cover the flood risks in home insurance policies.

For most flat owners and buy-to-let investors, however, Flood Re may be of no value, but there is one exception.

The flood Re eligibility criteria say that if you own the freehold of a small block of up to three flats and live in one of them yourself then you are covered under Flood Re. This is providing the property meets the following criteria:

  • Built before January 2009
  • Located within the UK
  • It is insured as one property held in the name of one person on an individual basis and in the name of one of the representatives
  • The freeholder lives in the property
  • It is in Domestic Council Tax Band A to H

Apart from the exception above, blocks of flats are excluded from Flood Re because the scheme does not cover commercial premises and, for insurance purposes, blocks of flats are considered commercial property.

If you do benefit from Flood Re, remember this is only the flood-related portion of the premium so you’ll still need to pay for protection against other risks, such as fire or subsidence.

Ideas to minimise damage caused by flood and what to do if the worst happens

  • If you live in a high flood risk area, keep a supply of sandbags in your garden shed or other to block off your doorway during periods of heavy rain, this should help limit the amount of water that enters your property.
  • Stay on top of weather reports so you have some advance warning as to when you are likely to be affected.
  • Store valuables away from the ground floor. If a flood is forecast, take any valuable items upstairs as quickly as you can.
  • If you experience damage caused by flood, contact your insurer as soon as possible and let them know what’s happened.
  • Take pictures of any damage to your home and its contents as soon as possible as this could provide valuable evidence when you submit a claim.

You can find out more about Flood Re and whether or not you are eligible here.

Find out if you’re at imminent risk of flooding here.



The sole purpose of this article is to provide guidance on the issues covered. This is not intended to give legal advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. We make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained herein or in the links which were live at the date of publication. You should not act upon (or should refrain from acting upon) information in this publication without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited (Gallagher) trading as Deacon accepts no liability for any inaccuracy, omission or mistake in this publication, nor will we be responsible for any loss which may be suffered as a result of any person relying on the information contained herein.