With the introduction of GDPR moving ever closer, many clients want to know the steps Deacon is taking to comply with GDPR. This update is designed to give you an overview of the main activities we are carrying out to ensure compliance with the new regulations.
What is GDPR?
GDPR is a major change to existing data protection law which comes into force in the UK on 25 May 2018. GDPR builds on the current laws, but offers more clearly defined requirements of companies who process personal data. It also offers enhanced rights to data subjects.
What is Deacon doing to be compliant?
Deacon is part of Gallagher, which means we benefit from the resources of one of the largest insurance brokers in the world. Gallagher has a dedicated UK project team (which is sponsored at board level) that has reviewed our current data protection practices against the new requirements coming into force in May. Over the coming months, we will be looking at our existing business processes and ways of working:
- Refreshed privacy notices, documentation and websites to ensure transparency about data processing
- Implementing explicit consent with regards to collecting sensitive data
- Development of processes to support the new rights for an individual who is the subject of personal data
- Development of processes to demonstrate that we are complying with data management requirements
- Development of processes to ensure we are notifying any data breaches to individuals affected as well as regulators, within 72 hours
- Increased focus on operational due diligence and contractual provisions for third parties who handle personal data on our behalf
- Increased focus on our IT and technology systems regarding the protection of personal data
- Educating and informing our colleagues on the changes we’re making – this includes training.
We also have the support of a dedicated Data Protection Office, who will continue to monitor our data protection obligations and compliance after 25 May 2018, when GDPR comes into effect.
Founded in 1927, Gallagher is the brand name of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (NYSE: AJG); the global insurance broker, risk management services and consulting firm headquartered in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
In the UK, Gallagher has more than 4,500 employees specialising in risk management and insurance solutions for corporate, commercial and personal customers. Through a regional UK network of customer-focused branches in more than 50 locations, and its specialty London market operations, Gallagher offers tailored insurance programmes and coverage for both UK and international clients.
It is dedicated to providing local service and support to businesses, backed up by national industry specialism and global reach. With operations in 34 countries, Gallagher offers client service capabilities in more than 150 countries around the world through a network of correspondent brokers and consultants.
This bulletin is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this bulletin we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained. You should not act upon (or should refrain from acting upon) information in this bulletin without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited accepts no liability for any inaccuracy, omission or mistake in this bulletin, nor will we be responsible for any loss which may be suffered as a result of any person relying on the information contained herein.